Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Sammy Robison writes:

At the Great Wall we climbed up all the way to the top of the portion, but it was not easy getting there. The steps were far apart and uneven. Every flight would make your heart beat fast and your lungs gasping for air. The wall had several buildings leading up to the last one, each separated by a great number of stairs. We used these buildings as motivation. We would set a goal to make it to a building; when we made it, it would make us want to climb higher so you could accomplish another stepping stone. By the time we were at the second to last building, we met our first goal. We decided to make it all the way to the top so we could truly feel accomplished. When we reaches the top everyone was so happy and fulfilled. It was so worth climbing all the way to the top so you can officially say you climed the Great Wall, and the view was priceless. You could see the mountains around you, and the people and buildings on the ground. You could also see the Great Wall below you. Climbing te Great Wall was a life time experice that I will never forget.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. I never knew that experiencing the Great Wall fully took so much work. I just assumed that it was a light stroll to walk across the top of it, since they never show pictures of the stairs leading up to it. Imagine how much work Chinese military people had to go through daily to reach the top (i think military people used it in Ancient China but I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong because I take Japanese)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you meet your goal of climbing the Great Wall. You described the perfect example of the determination to do something and get it done. Have fun in China!!!! Take lots of pictures and tell us more about your adventures in China through your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow sammy, just like ariel said I didn't know that you had to climb flights of stairs to get to the top. That sounds like a workout! Haha good thing it was all worth it though, hopefully I'll do the same some day, it sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I'm so proud of you all!, I always thought the Great Wall was such an easy little stroll, but i guess not! You described it very in and in detail. I bet i would've given up but I'm glad you guys didn't, it was a once in a lifetime experience and you guys took full advantage of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you described climbing the Great Wall as a goal and within everystep you were anxious to achieve more. It sounds like a good workout! And with all the mountain s and detailing in the steps makes me feel like I'm apart of China during the old times. I know I would've been tired and completely worn out but it sounds like it would all be worth it if the view is as grand as you described it. This makes me thrilled to go to China next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny, your experience on the Great Wall reminds me a lot of our own experiences at the Sun Yat-Sen Mausoleum last year In Nanjing. Like you guys, it was a really hike getting to the top of that thing. Though I’m sure the hike up the Great Wall was greater, there were still series’ and series’ of steps at the Mausoleum that took forever to get up. Nevertheless, like you we were determined to get to the top. I believe you, that the view from the top must have been priceless. I wonder, did the experience at the top instill in you a sense of the vastness of China. It certainly did for me, in Nanjing, as well as all the other places we visited with views last year (Victoria Peak and the top of the Shanghai World Finance Center to name a view). On every occasion, it really made me come to realize the true enormousness of China. Though of course everyone already knew this based off what we’ve read and learned, I had never really come to appreciate the enormity of China until I observed these views of Metropolises (but also pockets of nature) going on and on forever. I had a fantastic time last year but also learned a whole lot and came to realize many things about my life and putting things into perspective. I hope the same applies to you guys, and more than anything have a blast.

    ReplyDelete